writing instruction & tutoring
I offer personalized tutoring and instruction in writing, reading comprehension and classical argumentation.
I specialize in teaching proven, simple strategies which produce clear, concise and evocative writing every time.
Sessions are flexible and tailored to the specific needs of the student, and may include:
- topic selection and narrowing of focus
- structure and organization
- presentation of warranted evidence
- refutation of counterarguments
- tone, style and rhythm of language
- Aristotelian (rhetorical) triangle
- audience identification
- logical fallacies
- grammar and syntax
Whether your goal is to write a single, polished essay or research paper, or to hone your rhetorical skills through more comprehensive instruction, I can guide you through the process, step by step, to successfully achieve repeatable results which will increase your confidence and your ability to write effectively and easily for any audience.
I can teach you to write well crafted:
- essays, research papers and lab reports
- formal letters and correspondence
- speeches and presentations
- fiction, nonfiction prose and poetry
- family history and memoir
I taught composition, literature and the writing of fiction and nonfiction to both undergraduate and graduate students for seven years. I received my MFA in Writing and Poetics from The Naropa Institute, and I completed a novel to fulfill the creative dissertation option for my Ph.D from UIC's Program for Writers.
Please email me or use the form below to contact me for more information and to set up an appointment.